What can be done about speeding on my residential street?

According to state law, the speed limit on residential streets is 30 miles per hour (mph) whether a sign is posted or not. Vehicle speeds areRadar Speed Board notoriously difficult for pedestrians to accurately guess, so we suggest you stand in your yard and have someone drive by at 30 mph so you can see what a car driving the speed limit looks like. If you believe traffic is going faster than 30 mph on your street, you can contact the Police Department at 972-304-3600 to request that they place their radar speed trailer on your street and/or conduct a directed patrol. You can also call Public Works Engineering at 972-304-3679 and request that we conduct a speed study on your street.

Speed Study

The speed study will determine the actual speeds of cars throughout the day. Depending on the results, we can install additional 30 mph speed limit signs, increase the visibility of a pedestrian crossing, or we can ask the Police Department to conduct a directed patrol during times when speeding is occurring.

We can also suggest a Home Owners Association (HOA) education campaign (because it is typically the residents of your neighborhood who are speeding because they are so familiar with the streets). In rare cases where speeds are high, the City can allow the neighborhood to install and maintain a permanent radar speed board.

Speed Bumps

The City of Coppell does not install speed bumps or humps on public streets, nor do we install stop signs to control vehicle speed (see more detailed responses about these items elsewhere on this site). The City also does not lower the speed limit on individual residential streets; instead, the City maintains a consistent residential speed limit across the City and in line with state law.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact to report a problem with a traffic signal?
2. Who maintains all of the major traffic signals on the outskirts of Coppell?
3. Does the City of Coppell record any of the video from its traffic cameras?
4. How are the yellow and all-red clearance times calculated for a traffic signal?
5. How do you decide where and when to install traffic signals?
6. How do I request a new traffic signal?
7. Who do I contact to report a malfunctioning school zone warning flasher?
8. Can speed bumps/humps be installed on my residential street?
9. Can parking be prohibited on my residential street?
10. What can be done about speeding on my residential street?
11. Can an intersection be changed to allow 2 lanes to turn right?
12. Who maintains all of the signs in the City of Coppell?
13. Can a “Children at Play” sign be installed in our neighborhood?
14. Can a Stop sign be installed on my residential street?
15. Who maintains the pavement markings in the City?
16. What does "Stop Here on Red" mean?